Saturday, January 25, 2014

But What Will You Do When You Graduate?


As a double-major in Peace Studies and Theology at a small liberal arts college in central Minnesota, I am frequently met with disbelief and concern when I discuss my college education with adults. First of all, very few people understand what Peace Studies means, and they choose to write it off as an illegitimate ‘hippie’ major rather than ask why I chose it. When I add theology to the mix, I’m seen as a naïve idealist who is wasting college chasing world peace and a God that will never been scientifically proven. I’d argue that I’m not as naïve as you, or anyone else, might believe. However, the rest of that statement is fairly accurate!

The truth is, education is not a means to obtaining a career.
A career is not a means to making money.
Money is not a means to reach happiness.

When educators, parents, or students view any level of education merely as the avenue to get a job, they contribute to the epidemic of meaninglessness in America. 

I chose to come to college to discover who I am, and how I can live a fulfilling, purposeful life. I invest my heart and soul into my studies so that I can find a way to contribute positively to humanity, because I feel connected and morally responsible for its future. I’m studying Peace Studies so that I will be educated in a variety of disciplines and use that systematic knowledge to prevent unnecessary suffering and harm in both domestic, and international realms. I chose an education in Theology so that I can learn to think critically about the ‘truths’ I’ve been taught to accept and communicate effectively with people of diverse faiths to better understand and value their beliefs. Do I know how many figures will appear on my first paycheck after graduation? Absolutely not. But frankly, I don’t care. I’m already developing a strong understanding of who I am and how I can contribute positively to a community, and that is much more comforting to me than job security.

What breaks my heart is the fact that millions of people in this world, both young and old, see education as a way out. Whether it be a way out of poverty, detrimental family cycles, oppression, or hopelessness, it’s something they’d give anything for; and I see students at my school every day who aren’t invested in learning, so they waste the amazing opportunity of college.


I will continue to be judged for my educational choices, but I will remain confident in the fact that I’m filling my life with purpose and meaning and nothing is more important.

No comments:

Post a Comment